Friday, December 21, 2012

Merry Christmas!

I am back! I haven't posted for almost a year now! I am ten years old now, and I am in 5th grade. I feel ancient! My interests have also changed a lot since then, so if you want the latest update, you can check out my "All About Me" post on the side next to this post. Anyway, Merry Christmas! Last year, our weather was totally unusual for our state. This year, it's back to our old weather: Snowy and freezing! Yesterday they cancelled school because the roads were covered with ice about an inch thick, it was snowing in one place and then blowing it into another all day, and with the windchill, it was below zero! There were two sides to this. On the bright side, we got to stay home from school today, and I get a $10 Casey's gift card (at our school, we had a contest to see who could guess the date of our first snow day, and I just happened to guess Dec. 20th, which was yesterday. Casey's, here I come!) On the bad side, it was so cold and it was blowing snow all day, so we couldn't go outside and do anything fun.:(


This Christmas has been kinda fun, even though we haven't even had it yet. I get off for winter break in a couple of days, though I guess since we don't have school today, yesterday was the beginning of winter break. We won't be back at school until Jan. 8th. Yesterday we began to make Christmas cookies, since we figured if we were going to be cooped up in the house all day, we might as well start them today as a nice past time. We baked them, frosted them, and put sprinkles on them all in one day. It took a lot of work, but we managed to do it. While we were working, me and mom became mildly stressed out by the little kids. They kept opening doors so they could stick their hands in the snow to see how deep it had gotten over the last five seconds. They also stole some of our cooking supplies. They drove us nuts, and eventually we needed caffeine. Dad helpfully volunteered to go out and get it for us. We weren't so sure about this, but he was, so we told him to be careful and hoped he would drive safely and not get killed. He came back after what seemed like an hour, shivering. He announced loud enough for everyone to hear, "Those roads are the most dangerous I've seen for quite some years."

Moving on, I just now finished my best friend's Christmas present. Our 1st anniversary of being best friends is on Dec. 23rd, and since we won't see each other that day, (we did last year because it was a Friday) I will have to give her her Christmas present after we get back from Christmas break. I can't wait for Christmas! I just love baking the cookies, setting them out on the table with carrots for the reindeer, and going to bed knowing I have something special to wake up to in the morning. I especially enjoy the part about going to bed (Christmas Eve is one of the only nights in the year when I am happy to go to bed). Last weekend we went to my aunt and uncle's house for our family Christmas. Our entire family on my dad's side was there, and my aunts and uncles always know exactly what I like (my mom says this starts with them asking her what to get me, and ends with me being happy) My dad's brother and his wife got me a Build-a-Bear Workshop gift card (P.S. I LOVE Build-a-Bear Workshop!) and the movie "Brave." My dad's sister and her husband got me a teddy bear made from one of my grandpa's old shirts (see my mom's post).


It is one of my very favorite stuffed animals, next to my Pinky (I still have her after all this time). The rest of my presents were great too, and I am very happy with them, but those ones were my favorites.


Today we played outside because it wasn't as cold and snowy as it was yesterday. The first thing we did was sled down the hill repeatedly, which we didn't have to travel very far for because we live on a hill long enough to go sledding on. I went first. There were several angles we could use, but none of them were dangerous (which we were fine with, because we kind of didn't want to die right before Christmas). Some of the angles went so fast we THOUGHT we were going to die as we went down them, though, so we marked a few of them as DEADLY. One angle of the hill was completely covered in ice, so we marked that one as deadly. It was so slippery that we could go down on our bellies WITHOUT a sled and still go at about the same pace as the sled if we were using it to go down a hill of a reasonable size (note from Mom: And they broke the zippers on their coats!) We pretended we were wildlife rescuers in the arctic and we were attempting to save an endangered species of arctic penguins, and this required us to slide down the hill on our bellies like penguins so we could follow them. Then we tried the sled and we totally felt like we were going to die. It was sooooooo much fun. I had fun posting again, and I will try to post whenever I get the chance. Send me an e-mail or leave me a comment! Bye! :)

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great start to the winter break! Have fun in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bee! You are a great blogger just like your mom. :) Sounds like you are having a fun winter break. My favorite thing you wrote about was the sledding- what a blast! Sounds like you are a great helper to your mom with the little kids. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very busy time for you! Hope Christmas ends as special as it has started!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure needed a reminder that winter break can be fun! We only have rain (darn California weather!) so my kids are really envious of your snow. Have a marvelous break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bee,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. You are a great writer! Your writing is similar to your mom's, and that's a good thing.
    When I was a kid we would go sledding on a hill in the pasture. One time my dad came out with us and we could slide down the big hill on the road, as long as he was with us. He would lay down on the sled and let us sit on his back, and down we'd go! Then he pulled us back up the hill on the sled. So for us, we had a ride both ways! We stayed out until dark, and I still remember that fun night, even though it was more than 50 years ago.
    Have a Merry Christmas, and keep writing!

    cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bee,
    What a great post! You write as beautiful as your mom does! Love the picture of all the Christmas cookies! I'm so excited for you getting a new bedroom...you'll have to post pictures after you have it decorated! My daughter Mary Anne had her last day of school today and she goes back on January 2nd...you have another week of vacation...you're so lucky!

    I hope you and your family have a Blessed Christmas and a happy new year! Enjoy the snow!
    Janel in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bee! I loved reading your blog post! It's so good to hear from you again! You are such a wonderfully talented young lady (just like your Mom)! In addition to three teenagers, I have a 7-year old son named Carlos who is in the 2nd grade. I also have a 6-year old daughter named Carly who is in kindergarten, just like your little sister! I will be sure to share your blog with them. They will enjoy hearing all about your super fun day! When they see the picture of all the yummy cookies you & Mom made, I bet they will want to reach their hand into the computer and grab a few! Haha! If only that could happen! Well, I sure hope you have a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year full of God's blessings! Have fun over the winter break and be sure to help your Mom! P.S. Please send us some of that snow you have over here to Oklahoma! We're hoping for a white Christmas! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in southern Louisiana near the Gulf of Mexico, and we unfortunately do not see snow. Just until two days ago, we were still able to wear flip flops outside with shorts!

    I love the picture of the cookies. I am hoping that my daughter and I can bake cookies tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Christmas break has just started and you have already had so much fun.

    Those cookies really look good too.

    I hope Santa finds you, Cakes and DJ and God bestows on your family the best Christmas ever.

    God Bless you all and Have a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bee! I really enjoyed reading your blog post! It's so good to hear from you again! You are such a wonderfully talented young lady, just like your Mom! In addition to three teenagers, I have a 7-year old son named Carlos who is in the 2nd grade. I also have a 6-year old daughter named Carly who is in kindergarten, just like your little sister! I will be sure to share your blog post with Carlos & Carly, as I am certain they will also enjoy reading about your super fun day! Why, I bet once they see the picture of all the yummy cookies you & Mom made, they will want to reach their little hands through the computer screen and grab a few to munch on! Haha! If only that were true! Oh well... I guess that means we'll just have to bake some ourselves! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year full of God's blessings for you and your family. Enjoy your winter break (I know my kids will) and don't forget to help your Mom around the house! P.S. Please send us some of that snow you have over here to Oklahoma! We're hoping for a white Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your post Bee. Glad to hear from you and hear that your Christmas break is off to a fun start.

    I really enjoyed your Christmas letter this year. You did a great job with it.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

    Amy F.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're an awesome blogger just like your Mom. Sounds like you're having fun preparing for Christmas. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun start to your break. I think I'll make cookies with my boys today! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for all of your positive comments, and since you liked this post so much, what would you like to see me write about next?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Bee! Your blog is on my blog roll so even though you haven't blogged for a year, it was exciting to see your post come up this morning. I really like your writing style and the photos are terrific. Keep up the great work and have a wonderful holiday season. P.S. I'm going to do some holiday baking today. Your cookie photo really got me in the mood!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome Back! I enjoyed your post and so did my daughter. Your cookies look awesome. I'm jealous of your snow. My little boy got a sled for his birthday and we are all excited to try it out. Merry Christmas to your and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bee! Your mom's friend, Erin, here! I totally enjoyed reading your blog post! I was on the phone with my mom today, and she started talking about it too! We both said we are impressed with your work. We also both said we had a good laugh over the part where you and your mom needed some caffeine, lol! I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas, and I hope to see you all again sometime! <3 Erin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mr. and Mrs. Bearclaw, tell your daughter I'm glad she enjoyed my post and I would like it if she would send me an e-mail (P.S. The cookies are awesome!) SuddenlySusan, I just replied to another comment you sent me about a year ago (on the post about the zoo, I think. You might have to check it out).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Bee! I'm your cousin from MI. I loved reading your blog and learning about the start of your winter break. I wish I lived closer so I could help you eat some of those delicious cookies!! Have a very Merry Christmas! I look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Bee,
    Thank you for replying to my letter! Those facts about America were cool! Make sure to send me another letter soon!!! I can't BELIEVE it's only 1 day till Christmas!
    Just seeing all that snow when it's sweltering here makes me shiver! Have an awesome Christmas and a happy new year,
    your friend from Australia,
    Elise.

    ReplyDelete