Sunday, December 23, 2012

I Can't Wait (again!)

Today is the 23rd. The day when everybody plays outside, drinks hot cocoa, and tries to imagine themselves waking up super early on the day everyone is actually excited to wake up early (Hint, hint: "Everyone" is a general statement). I can't wait for that day. As I said in my last post, my Christmas experience has been great so far. Today was kind of fun, also. I mean, it wasn't any different than any other day of the year, except that there was snow on the ground. The schedule went like this:

 8-10 A.M. Wake up and watch CBS Sunday Morning. Take a shower, get dressed and come out for breakfast. Mom tells me that I can't wear sweatpants to church and makes me change. I hop around on one leg, trying to put on a pair of blue jeans while holding my shoes in one hand and the waist of my pants in the other. My dad yells at me to finish up and get out to the car. I run out the door with only one arm in my coat. My hair is still wet, and it's seven degrees outside. I hope I don't catch a cold.

10:15-45 A.M. Pull into the parking lot of Wal-Mart with my hair sticking to the back of my neck because it's still wet. When I get into the store, I'm shivering like crazy. To make it worse, my mom has a bunch of stuff for us to get, and I'm assigned to go to the frozen aisle to get Coffee Mate. I drag my sister along with me, shivering the whole way there. I get it and meet my dad back at the pharmacy. We leave. I'm STILL shivering.  

11:00 A.M. Pull into church parking lot and run out of the car towards the doors of the church.

1:00 P.M. Get home from church. Eat lunch and go outside to play.

 And that was the rest of my day. December 23rd is not exactly my favorite day in the world. All it is is a day where you think about Christmas and all the wonderful things you might get on Christmas day. But when you think about Christmas that way, a lot of times you fail to see the true meaning of Christmas. When you think back to previous years, do you remember a few times when you might have gotten caught up in Christmas door busters and special sales? For some people, the sales at those hot stores that everyone shops at are Christmas. That's what they call the true meaning of Christmas. On CBS Sunday Morning, they had a segment about a wealthy man who went around New York and New Jersey giving out $100 bills to people who were hit by Hurricane Sandy. For them, that was a Christmas miracle. Now think about that. Now do you see the true meaning of Christmas? Me, too.

 Think about this when you hit those sales at J.C. Penney and Sears. Is this really how you should be spending your Christmas? Now think about your family. Are you with them on Christmas if you're shopping till you drop? Reconsider your plans for Christmas. Is spending time with your family on the schedule? If it is, but you're still itching to go to those AWESOME sales, think about Jesus Christ, and what he did. He died on the cross for all of us. YOU could be the next miracle-worker!*

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing post you have written. I know your Mom is so proud of you. It would seem that there is another talented writer blossoming in your family. Bless you and your family, and I sincerely hope that you have a joyous Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very true! I hope you and your siblings have a lovely Christmas with your mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow----thanks for the reminder----Jesus is the reason for this season.

    I hope you and your family have a great Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are wise beyond your years, Miss Bee! Good for you! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family! P.S. Watch out for those slippery hills!

    ReplyDelete